Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What Trim, Ireland taught me.

As many of you know I stayed in Trim, Ireland for 5 weeks total, what you do not know is that I felt at home in this town and I felt as if I had lived there.


  1. History- Aside from the obvious learning dates of when places of interest were founded and by who. It was amazing to actually be in that area and seeing the past and present stand together as a collective unit. To see massive structures that had been built by human hands without the machines we have today. Allowed me to see the innovation and ingenuity of humans and of our ancestors. I am now empathetic to my ancestors who lived in the middle ages. I was always told that Ireland and UK were cold and wet, especially their castles. This was no lie.
  2. Culture - Movies and TV shows are big fat liars. There is no old man who gives you superstitious advice, the only thing they give you is HORRIBLE directions (and it is not a set of cultural directions). I literally got pointed in the wrong direction. The drunks I encountered were the Americans and Canadians I was with, the Irish in the pubs were not drinking excessively nor were they loud and obnoxious. I learned quite quickly that #publife is only meant for socialization not excessive drinking (the pubs made a ton of money off us).
  3. Hospitality- This could be defined with culture but Irish hospitality is not unlike Southern hospitality where the visitors are very welcomed. This is perhaps why I felt very at home, because I felt welcomed and their definition of hospitality is somewhat like mine. We both serve tea and cookies to guests, well sometimes I serve coffee but mostly it's sweet iced tea. I really missed iced sweet tea, A LOT. I tried to make some and I failed miserably.
  4. Pride - I learned to accept my quirks and where I come from. 
  5. Dreams - I found my true passions and found my direction in life, where I would like my career path to lead. 
  6. Weather - Despite me living in Fl and everyday is a 30% chance of rain, I learned how to prepare for weather in Ireland and UK. It is cold up there for a Southerner like myself, I will never use an umbrella in Ireland again; only raincoats and rain boots and don't bother with the umbrella. Trust me, it'll just end up inside out. RIP Mr. Purple.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena