Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Welcoming 2014 and looking back on 2013



"Every expert was once a beginner" -President Rutherford B. Hayes

Today is New Year's Eve. All I can think about is new beginnings and starting fresh. 2013 has been quite the year for me. I hear from others how it was a horrible year but all I know that for me, 2013 has been one of the most memorable years of my life. I have been able to complete so many of my dreams and I feel 2014 is a fresh beginning. Good things will happen if you look on the bright side. That is what I attempted to do this year and just be thankful for the little things in life.

I am not sure what I should make this post about since I made a 'thankful post'. I was thinking of what 2013 taught me. I suppose that might be able to help. 


1. "Every champion finds a way. Every loser finds an excuse."-Nishan Panwar
I feel this is what 2013 was for me. I did many things and I refused to give up. Ask many of my friends on how many times I replied to their texts with 'I am too busy'. I found a way  to meet every deadline I had, even when everything looked bleak.


2.“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.”  -Winston Churchill
I am writing my own story, whether or not I am remembered by history. I want to die knowing I had a great life. This was the year I learned to love and accept myself, and not in a narcissistic way. I learned to love myself in a way that I am confident in my abilities.

3.“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.”  -Stephen King
I have spent the majority of my life reading but never writing. This year I really began writing and trying to learn to write. 

4.“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” -Marcel Proust
I have had the great fortune to see some of the beautiful planet. I learned and experienced new things. My eyes were opened to new things, I have a better understanding and have been renewed with purpose. I was unsure with what I wanted for my future, that changed this year. I met new people and made new friends. I stepped out of my comfort zone and now feel unafraid as I begin a new chapter. I was always afraid of what laid beyond graduation but this was the year that I was excited for what the future held. 


5.“Not all those who wander are lost.” - J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
I always loved traveling, but I was scared to 'leave the nest' -to leave my comfort zone. I became comfortable with who I was as a person and am okay with being by myself. I metaphorically no longer feel lost and I wander when I travel now. I learned to not plan and to be a little free. Although I still have to catch myself from planning so much, because I was living for the future and missing out the present.


6.“Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.”  -Thích Nhất Hạnh
Like I said before I used to live for the future and was always stressed. When I was in Ireland learned to cherish the little things in life. Despite being a Southerner I had to go across the pond to learn that.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena