Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Terms I learned in UK/ Ireland

This is a list of terms that will help you during your travels in the U.K and Ireland

Half (30 mins)- Like Americans say quarter after/ till the hour. In the U.K and Ireland  they use half, for example: 'half 3' means 3:30.

Just down the road - If someone tells you this ask for specific mileage because this could mean any amount of kilometers. My SD card broke and I needed a new one, but it was Sunday and it seems Europe shuts down on Sunday. The girl at the hotel desk told me that it wasn't a far walk to the nearest open shop. I then asked how far of a walk it was, her answer was 18 km. Now I am not being a lazy American here but 18km is a far walk.

Chemist / Pharmacy - Drugstore. I learned the hard way because my first day I arrived I had a cough and wanted cough drops. I asked this employee at the hostel who I realize barely spoke English (she was Russian). So when I asked for the nearest drugstore the horrified look on her face told me that she thought I was looking for a fix.

Lozenges-  cough drops

Toilet - Restroom: I asked for this and then this dude tried to argue with me about how it is stupid how Americans call it the restroom when you don't go rest there. I was not amused.

Concessions - Student, if you see a sign at a tourist location and it says this word, it is a student ticket. Oh which reminds me BRING YOUR STUDENT ID if you have one. I saved a bunch of money on attractions because I brought it with me. Some of my friends didn't and had to pay adult fees which sometimes was 5 euros more.

The floors in multiple storied buildings- Floor 0 is equivalent to the 1st Floor in the U.S. So when I was told my room was on the first floor. I went on my way to what I thought was the first floor and tried unlocking the door of some poor and most likely frightened occupants. The European 1st floor is the American 2nd floor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena