Friday, June 14, 2013

First week

So this week is coming to a close and it is all about come into the weekend. I honestly am falling in love with this country, at first I was wary and I wanted to go home to the US because I missed everyone and the culture. Mostly the culture. Everyone in this town is so kind and I feel at home because 1. It is a small town, so it feel like home. 2. It's European and it feels like I am back at home in the Bahamas. While the scenery is very different, the type of people are similar and the words in grew up with and used as a child are used here. For example the accent, they don't really pronounce the 'th', and neither do Bahamians. Although some people I don't understand because their accent is strong but for the most part I am translating for everyone.
The people in my group are absolutely amazing, we have been hanging  out and getting to know one another. In my immediate group that is living with me there are 13 of us. 
Now for the best part, the excavation. Now I am not allowed to take pictures and post it to any social media, so my description is what is going to be best. There are 9 cuttings which means there are 9 areas where the soil has been dug out and we are digging down to find the features of the church and the persons who were buried within the walls. Medieval townspeople paid to be buried within the walls because they believed it would get them to heaven quicker. But after the friary had fell out of use the stones were sold and used in other buildings around town, so we have been excavating through the rubble that was left to find the actual walls to the buildings. But in the years that followed the ground was no longer considered sacred and children who died before being baptized were buried here because of the belief of limbo. So we have found bodies from the friary's heyday and bodies of babies from after. These children seem to be preemies. 
Although I am having a lot of fun excavating and taking part. This is such an amazing experience and I am so glad that I chose to go into the field. We are seeing, holding and looking at history right before our eyes before it goes to a museums and you can only look. We are able to hold it and appreciate it long after the people of the 13th century have gone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena