Saturday, May 11, 2013

On-the-go wardrobe

Hello my dears:

Sooooo.
    I was speaking to my father today and he asked if I had started packing. It was in that moment I realized that I had forgotten that daunting task. I have to pack for 6 weeks; the most I have ever packed for. When I went to Montana last summer I had packed for 4 weeks and just reused certain items, but brought plenty enough undergarments in case I didn't have access to a laundromat, all that packed into a carry-on and a backpack.
     This time will be a little different, in part that it is an excavation, so I have to think about the clothes I will be wearing onsite and the clothes on the weekend. I essentially need different sets of clothing: work and for lack of a better word, fun.
     Now I am a notorious list maker.I love lists, I love planning, I love being given opportunities to do such a thing. This is why for the next trip with my friends I have told them I am making an agenda for us so that we can actually hangout at the same time together since we only see each other once a year.
     Anyway down to business. Luckily I am at university because I accumulate so many t-shirts, I don't have to buy one. You know those old ones that you sleep in and you got it from that club you went to one meeting to. Yea those, I've got 2 drawers full of those. I also never get rid of clothes, so my closet hanging space is quite tight, it's a wonder it hasn't exploded yet. BOOMMMMMM! Okay, my point is that I have a lot of old clothes, PERFECT FOR A DIG AND SLEEPING. ZZZZZZZ. So I pack all of those.
       Then for the weekend I need my decent and cute clothes. Now I have to think about the fact that people don't dress the same as in the States. I can't wear my daisy dukes and low cut shirts. So fashion has to be thought about. Now since I come from a semi-preppy background. Most of my clothes is preppy and mostly Tommy, Ralph and so on and so forth. I think I'll be okay. But sadly the weather is different than my normal Florida/ Bahamas weather. It will be raining a lot and not so warm. It'll be like Fall again. YAYYYY! Not.
      So I will be doing a video of things to take for a 6 week trip. But for now I will make a list. A very long list.

  • Toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup, makeup remover, loofah! I plan on buying soap and shampoo/conditioner over there to save weight and space. Since they'll most likely be left there.
  • I'm bring a swimsuit. Just in case, you never know. Don't judge me I am Bahamian raised and go to school in Florida, I have a whole drawer full of swimsuits.
  • Clothing- I am bring 2 pairs of gloves for sightseeing. 
    • Scarves- they do wonders for outfits and can change an outfit up. So one less outfit to pack. You have to think about the space you have in your suitcase and want to bring only basics. I usually choose 3 colors and use those as a base to make my on-the-go wardrobe. See I incorporated the title. Fancy Schmancy. 
    • Shoes- I will only bring 1 pair of heels- black. They go with everything and in case my buddies want a night on the town. I will bring 3 pairs of boots, one for hiking, one for fashion (jockey), and one pair of rain boots. 3 sperrys, 1 flatt, 1 pair of flipflops, 1 pair of slippers.
    • In case I get invited on a date by a cute European. Ohhh la la! I will be bringing one night-time dress. But I will also bring 2 dresses for sightseeing and for going out with my friends.
    • 2 raincoats, my anorak, a cardigan, and a jacket.
    • Shirts- now this is the fun part. Since I have packed a lot so far, I will be mixing and matching. If I put a shirt over my dress it doubles as a skirt. A cardigan changes an outfit, scarf changes an outfit. Now add all of those together you have a new outfit. See what I mean about mixing and matching? So I'll pack maybe 5 shirts since I will only being wearing those of the weekend. I could go into how many probabilities I have of outfit but I won't.  Stick with basics: basic styles and solid colours. Or at least not too flashy, we want to look classy and fit in. Or as a Brit would say, 'Posh'
    • Now pants, I'm sticking with regular jeans. Eh boring I know, but basic.
    • Accessories: Bobby pins, Hair bows, headbands to keep your hair out of your eyes (great if your hair is dirty!), ribbons! Ribbons are great because you can use it to cinch your waist and to make a unique outfit!
Anyways I hope this list gives you an idea of what you should bring. I haven't decided on my colours yet, but I will get there when I begin the process. Also I think this list makes me sound as least touristy as possible, they're easily pickpocketed over there. Lucky for me I have spidey sense!

I'll see y'all next time. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena