Monday, December 3, 2018

Favorite Financial Podcasts right now

So, I have been on a journey to Financial Independence (FI) for 2 years but I have not made much progress, some people in the community may say that I am not trying hard enough. Which is fair , even though the topic of finance is a personal subject and I am making it somewhat public, which means I have to accept that every once in a while someone may not like what I have to say.

My journey is different because I am an expat. I have a U.S. student loan and am using my Swedish income to pay it. So, I have to juggle two currencies instead of a main job and side hustles. I do not have any side hustles here in Sweden. Main reason is I recently moved here and am still getting used to the tax system.

Despite being an expat I do listen to some North American based podcasts that cater to the FI community. My commute at my previous job was extremely short, so I did not have time to listen to podcasts nor music. As one song finished I reached my destination. Nowadays my commute is a little bit longer, approximately half an hour. So I listen to podcasts, as sometimes I'll learn something new and it is good to hear other stories. Now, I have not heard any entries in these podcasts yet with expats in a similar situation as I; however, I have not listened to each entry.

This is a short list, but these two financial podcasts have made my commute much more enjoyable.


  • Personal Finance for PhDs - Host is Emily Roberts. I enjoy this podcast as it is with other current PhDs and some post-docs. The posts are more concise and do not last as long as some others I have listened to, so I usually get through one post in one day covering both my commute to work and home. She goes through a budget breakdown with the guest and it is somewhat enlightening, especially on the posts with guests that live in expensive cities. As I live in an expensive...well, country. 
  • Choose FI - Hosts are Brad and Jonathan. Now, I just started listening to this one a couple weeks ago. Most of their guests have already paid off most of their debt and are on the road or have reached FI. So, this one I listen to because it gives me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 
Some of what I have learned from these podcasts is the importance of tracking your Net Worth. So, I created a spreadsheet to track it and even though it is hard to see my hard-earned money going to pay off these loans. The effects it has on my Net Worth make me feel a sense of accomplishment and also I know exactly where my money is going. 

If you have any podcasts to recommend, leave a comment!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena