Friday, August 3, 2018

Graduation from Oxford University

I finished my degree in 2015 but I attended my graduation in March 2016. This is a late update but I had been on a several year hiatus. Now, graduation is a little different than in the U.S. It is a bit more ceremonial and retains many of its original proceedings, particularly that is all in Latin. Now I don't know about you but I don't know much Latin and I imagine it was the same for most of the audience.

Now, for those with graduate degrees we marched with our college but the Masters and Doctorate students were presented separately.

The day was as follows:
Met at Wolfson college where I had breakfast and signed for my degree. Headed to the Sheldonian  where I was sent to wait in the Divinity School (you might recognize it from the infirmary in the Harry Potter films) along with my other college-mates as we waited to be called over for entrance. My mother was the only family member in the audience but my dad and brother watched on the televised version in the U.S.
Undergraduates receiving their degrees

Here come the graduate students :)
I think this the part where we had to agree that we deserved our degrees, along with saying some Latin words.



The Divinity school behind me. You can probably see some differences in the color of sashes. Mine meant that I received a Master of Science degree. The black and white to the left of the photo is an undergraduate degree. In the back right hand corner there is a red coat which means a DPhil (PhD).

The Radcliffe Camera behind me. This is also known by students as the Rad-Cam. I  liked to study in this building... if I could find a seat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena