Wednesday, October 22, 2014

U of Oxford Matriculation Ceremony

"It is what sociologists and anthropologists call the 'rites of passage.' Today, you have become what you were not. You have matriculated as a student of the University of Oxford."- Andrew Hamilton, Vice-Chancellor

This past Saturday there was a beautiful ceremony for the Freshers (new students) of the university. We became members of the university and our names are written into a register. This means we can now participate, and take exams.  

Matriculation is one of Oxford's main traditions, previously we were only members of our own colleges (which we are a lifetime member as well). This ceremony marks the beginning of a new chapter for all of us, we become members of the university. This membership not only spans our time here but is for life. This means I will always have access to the Bodleian libraries. Although, once I graduate I will become a member of the convocation, which means I can elect the Chancellor. 

The ceremony dates back to the Middle Ages where students had to register, as was the legal requirement of the Regent Master. This register established who was a real student and who wasn't because back when the university was setting down their roots, the townsfolk were not too happy, and there were a lot of fights. Having your name on the registry allowed you the University's protection.

At Oxford we are required to wear a 'subfusc,' which is an old-school uniform. It was similar to what I used to wear in primary and high school. Although, the gown and mortar board are unique and reminds me of Harry Potter. The mortar board is similar to graduation cap in the states but it is bad luck here to put it on before you graduate, but you're required to carry it around with you every time you wear the 'subfusc.' 

We are all required to wear:

  • either dark pants or a skirt with tights
  • dark shoes
  • a white dress shirt
  • a bow tie or ribbon
  • the gown
  • mortar board
My day began at 7 am, I had to begin getting ready to meet at my college at 9 am. Once, my housemates and I arrived at the college, we had our breakfast. If there is one thing I will always remember from my time here is the amount of croissants I consumed. We were then lined up by height to take the fresher photo for our college, which took an obscene amount of time. I should mention now that my college is quite informal, a lot of other colleges had their students walk in two lines to the Sheldonian. My college just told us to meet at 11:45 and don't be late. After the photo, we took more pictures and headed to the Sheldonian by bus because we were running late. The entire bus was full of Wolfson members in their subfuscs headed to the theatre. Once we made it, it was time for the ceremony to begin. 

After the ceremony there is a lot of celebrating, and parties. Everyone was wearing their subfuscs until late. There were parties that the theme was to incorporate your subfusc into your costume.










1 comments:

© The Traveling Gator, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena